Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 30

Finished the longest leg of my journey today- about 117 miles from highway 242 to Timberline Lodge! I walked past Belknap, Mt. Washington, Three Fingered Jack, and Mt Jefferson. Today I climbed two passes up to Mt. Hood's Timberline lodge. There were a few exciting parts: normally on the east side of Mt. Jefferson, there are three glacial creeks that need to be forded early in the morning (glacial creeks are less turbulent earlier in the day). I was getting to these fords in the evening, the worst possible time to cross. Luckily, there were snow bridges across each creek so I had no problems. I later met up with two equestrians and their 1200 pound horses had made it across these snow bridges safely!
A few other highlights: I crossed the 45th parallel: I am now closer to the north pole than I am to the equator. I also walked my longest distance in a day so far: 27 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment